The excitement of exploring a new city and getting to experience its unique vibe, culture, and people can be a wonderful offset to the stresses of moving. If you’ve decided to relocate to Houston, here are the top 10 things to know so you can immediately enjoy all that Houston has to offer!
- Houston doesn’t have one central “hub” – Instead, it has lots of hubs, from Downtown and Midtown to The Heights, Spring Branch, and more! With so many different neighborhoods, there’s an option to suit your lifestyle and your needs, whether you’re single and ready to mingle or you’re looking for a family-friendly area.
- Know “The Loop” – The Loop, which is the loop that Interstate 610 makes around central Houston, is a vibrant area that’s close to some of Houston’s major attractions, thoroughfares, and businesses. Locals often refer to The Loop, so get ready to hear that term.
- You CAN get around without a car – If you’re planning to live and work in Houston, you do NOT have to have a car to get around. You can use the METRO (a bus and rail system) or travel by bike. You can also easily get a ride from one of the many ridesharing services operating in and around the city. And, if you do have a car, just try to avoid the freeways from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., when rush hour makes for slow-moving traffic.
- There’s always something to do – From farmer’s markets and museums to music shows, sports events, nightlife, fine dining, and more, Houston abounds with activities! If you’re ever looking for something to do in Houston, you won’t be bored.
- Your dog will love Houston – While Houston’s weather and parks offer lots of opportunities to enjoy the outdoors with your dog, many local restaurants, bars, and other places are dog-friendly too. In fact, many upscale apartments across Houston actually offer amenities for your dog!
Are You Looking for a Great Place to Move to in Houston?
We’ll Find Your Dream Apartment For You!
Get Your FREE Custom Apartment List Now & Get Up To $500 Cash Back!
Start Your Search Now!
- If you love sports, you’ll have plenty of hometown teams to cheer on – Houston is home to seven professional sports teams, including the Astros (MLB), the Dynamo (MLS), and the Texans (NFL). In fact, even if you don’t love sports or have a favorite team, you can always enjoy an afternoon taking in a game at a local stadium or sports bar.
- Houston celebrates Mardi Gras! – And it celebrates BIG time, with parades and floats, costume contests, live music, great food and drinks, and much more! If you love a good party and you want to revel in the Mardi Gras experience, make sure you free up your schedule around Fat Tuesday!
- Be prepared for bats, bugs, and tropical storms – Not things you have to deal with day to day, these can be facets of living in Houston from time to time. If you’re prepared for them, you’ll have nothing to worry about.
- The cost of living in Houston is great when compared to other major cities – In fact, Houston is more than 36% cheaper to live in than New York City and more than 32% cheaper to live in than Los Angeles. For a big, rapidly growing city, that’s a lot of cash saved day after day and year after year!
- More than 4 in every 5 residents rate Houston as a good or great place to live – Upwards of 81 percent of residents agreed that living in Houston is a good to great experience (according to the annual Kinder Houston Area Survey). On top of that, Houston has been rated as one of the happiest big cities across the U.S., according to Slate.
Are you ready to discover all of the wonderful things Houston has to offer? If so – and if you want to take the hassle out of finding the perfect place to move to in Houston, simply contact Apartment GURUS.
Let Us Find You a Place to Live While You Are Busy Living: Contact Apartment GURUS
Finding the right apartment can take a lot of time and energy, especially with all of the listings and options available in Houston. The good news is that Apartment GURUS can help! We find the best listings, matched to your search criteria, and send them directly to your inbox for FREE! We work with just about every property in Houston (and across Texas), and we’ve been helping renters for years, finding them the perfect place to live, no matter what they’re looking for.
The best part of our service is that, when you work with us and sign a lease, we’ll split our commission with you! That means that you can get up to $500 cash back when you work with Apartment GURUS!
With Apartment GURUS, you can save time and earn money while easily finding a great place to live! Check out our glowing reviews to see how we’ve helped thousands of others in their apartment searches – and to see how our program can benefit you! We also invite you to check out our latest deals, specials, and listings on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. We look forward to helping you find your next place to live!