Searching for an apartment is one of the many things that’s become more complicated during the COVID-19 outbreak. While any apartment hunt can take time and energy, finding an apartment during the coronavirus quarantine requires extra effort—along with extra precautions.
So, if you’re a renter who has to move as the COVID-19 pandemic rages on, here are some helpful tips for finding an apartment during the coronavirus quarantine.
6 Essential Tips for Apartment Hunters During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Before starting an apartment hunt, first, consider whether you absolutely need to move right now. If you are part of a high-risk group for the coronavirus, you may want to postpone your apartment search and move. Landlords may be open to extending leases, especially since they may not want to deal with the risks that can come with onboarding new tenants.
If you cannot or do not want to postpone your move, however, take these steps to minimize your risk of COVID-19 exposure as you search for a new apartment.
1. Take Advantage of Online Features
In the age of COVID-19, online apartment searches and features are more useful than ever. From viewing floor plans and amenities to taking virtual tours and checking out reviews, there’s a lot of info you can get about apartments online. So, use it. Take a close look at the rentals you’re considering to narrow down your options.
2. Only Visit a Few Top Choices
At some point, you’ll need to check out the apartments you’re considering in person. Limit the options you visit to your top three or so favorites. Don’t risk checking out places that “may” work. Only look at options that you’d be willing to move into and that fit your budget (and other criteria).
3. Call in Advance to Ask About COVID-19 Protocols
Apartment complexes may have limited viewing hours and/or other protocols for showing units during the coronavirus quarantine. So, call ahead to get these details and schedule a viewing. When you do, also ask:
- If the community or complex has had any reported COVID-19 cases (here’s an up-to-date look at the reported coronavirus cases in Texas, broken down by county)
- Whether certain areas of the community are restricted
- Whether other prospective renters are scheduled to view the unit when you’re planning to see it
4. Minimize Contact & Keep Up Social Distancing
When you go to check out an apartment, avoid shaking hands with the leasing agent or landlord, and maintain the social distancing you would in public, staying at least 6 feet away from others whenever possible. You may also want to consider:
- Asking if the keys to a unit can be left somewhere for you to pick up so that you can take a self-guided tour
- Checking if the leasing agent or landlord is open to giving you a video tour (over a video conferencing app or FaceTime, for example) so that you can ask questions as you look at the unit
5. Sanitize and/or Wear Gloves
From doorknobs to appliance handles, you’ll likely have to touch at least some surfaces in the apartments you view. So, bring your own hand sanitizer or soap, so you can disinfect your hands after touching these surfaces. Alternatively, you may want to wear gloves when viewing apartments.
6. Get Expert Help
Finding the perfect apartment during the coronavirus quarantine can be a lot easier when you work with the experts at Apartment GURUS. That’s because we can save you time, hassles, and money during your next apartment search by:
- Finding the best listings for you, based on your specific search criteria
- Sending a custom apartment list directly to your inbox
- Alerting you to the best deals and move-in specials
- Checking rental availability and setting up on-site tours
- And more!
Why not make your apartment search during the COVID-19 pandemic as easy as possible? Working with Apartment GURUS is 100% free, and it can simplify your search during a complicated time.
Get Expert Help Finding an Apartment & Get Up to $500 Cash Back When You Sign a Lease: Contact Apartment GURUS
Apartment GURUS has been a trusted one-stop shop for apartment hunters in Texas since 1997. Not only do we have the best inventory options for apartments in Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio, but we also provide excellent service—and we’ll split our commission with you when you sign a lease!
We’ll Find Your Dream Apartment for You
Get Your FREE Custom Apartment List Now & Get Up To $500 Cash Back!
Call (281) 978-2441 or Email Us Now to Get Started
We invite you to check out our fantastic reviews to see how we’ve helped more than 30,000 others in their apartment searches—and to see how our program can benefit you! We also encourage you to check out: