The Easy Way to Find a Great Houston Apartment
Houston apartment hunting can be daunting. There are SO many excellent choices when it comes to neighborhoods and rentals.
So, how do you narrow down your options and zero in on the best Houston apartment to call home?
With these simple steps (pro tip: if you’re really short on time, just skip straight to step 5!).
Step 1: Figure Out What You Need & What You Can Afford.
Before you start looking, you have to know what you want, what you’re looking for, and what your budget is. That’s the best way to narrow down your search. So, start your Houston apartment search by figuring out:
- Rent: What’s the ideal monthly rent you’d like to pay? What’s the most you can afford or what are you willing to pay?
- Must-have features: What in-unit or community-wide amenities do you absolutely want or need in your next apartment? Make a list.
- Deal breakers: What do you absolutely NOT want in your next apartment? It’s always good to know what you don’t want too (like too much noise or uncovered parking).
Figuring out these details upfront can help you narrow down listings and make quick decisions when you’re taking a closer look at apartments in Houston.
Step 2: Choose location(s).
If you don’t already have your heart set on The Heights, Downtown, or another Houston neighborhood, select one to three options by thinking about things like (but not limited to):
- Neighborhood attractions, like shops, restaurants, and more
- Parks and other green spaces to enjoy the outdoors
- Traffic and noise
Also, think about price — some neighborhoods come at a premium because they have so much to offer and they’re really popular. That’s why you’ll want to have a couple of options on hand, if at all possible.
Step 3: Take Tours.
Virtual and in-person tours give you a better feel of the Houston apartments you’re considering:
- Virtual apartment tours are great for out-of-towners or those who want to narrow down their list before an in-person visit.
- In-person tours are essential to experiencing what an apartment could be like if it were your home.
When you take in-person tours, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Take pictures and/or videos. Your images could be different than what you’ve seen online, and they may be helpful to check out later when it’s decision time.
- Turn stuff on and off. Test water pressure, toilets, switches, appliances, and other features of apartments. Also, test door locks and any security features in units.
- Bring a friend or someone you trust with you. That person can see and point out things you may miss.
Step 4: Ask Questions.
Don’t just look during tours. Ask questions and get some answers about things you can’t see or experience during the tour. Here are some good questions to ask:
- What is the neighborhood like?
- What are the community’s tenants like?
- If I have a maintenance issue, who would I call and what type of response can I expect?
- What security features do the apartment and community have?
- What’s included in the rent (utilities, water, internet, and/or anything else)?
- What are your application fees and what type of deposit do you require?
- What’s the grace period for rent?
- What is your pet policy?
Before you take tours — or at any point during your apartment search — you can get the best listings and experienced help from Apartment Gurus.
As one of the most trusted resources for Texas renters, Apartment Gurus has the greatest inventory of luxury apartments in Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and beyond. We save renters time, curating listings to fit their exact needs and helping them through the process. We also save renters money because we share our commission with them when they sign a lease.
We Can Find Your Dream Apartment!
Get Your FREE Custom Apartment List Now & Up To $500 Cash Back
Call (281) 978-2441 to Get Started
Backed by more than 10 years’ experience, Apartment Gurus finds the best options while putting money back in renters’ pocket.
Check out our excellent reviews to see how we’ve helped thousands in their apartment searches—and to see how our program can benefit you. We look forward to helping you find your next apartment to call home!